Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Homemade Cake Mix Ice Cream {Recipe}...my new addiction


OH holy cow! This ice cream is awesome. I always wonder why in the world my son gets "birthday cake" ice cream when we go out for ice cream. I used to think it was because it was blue. NOW, I think he might just love the taste...because I DO!

Do you have one of those electric ice cream makers? Like this:

Well, we have been making a lot of ice cream since the temps started heating up in the spring. But I have only been making vanilla- striving to find the best mix of cream and milk and sugar so that I could eat a ton and not gain a ton. For whatever reason, I decided to try a new flavor, one the whole family could agree on. And one that was not blue.  Oh did I hit the jackpot on this one!!!!

I do the easy kind of ice cream. Basic Vanilla is 2 cups cream, 1 cup milk, sugar, and vanilla.

I have two versions:  The "fatty but yummy" and the "I can eat this every night" (scroll down).  And you must try this with lemon cake mix too!




...fatty but yummy version...
{Recipe} Cake Mix Ice Cream
2 Cups Heavy Cream
1 Cup Whole Milk
1/2 Cup Sugar
3/4 Cup Cake Mix (powder)- Yellow or Lemon are perfect!























Did you cringe at all the fat? Yep. Me too.

But THIS version is the one that will let you have your cake mix ice cream and eat it too!!!!!

...I can eat this every night version...
{Better for You Recipe} Cake Mix Ice Cream
2 Cups Half and Half
1 Cup Whole Milk
1/4 Cup Sugar
3/4 Cup Cake Mix (yellow, lemon, etc.)



Even though it is lower fat, the cake mix helps to hold up a good consistency.

Check this:
I did a quick comparison of the creams and milks. *Now these numbers are for the whole batch of ice cream. So don't panic.

**************** Original Recipe
Even Better Recipe
caloriesfat grams calories fat grams
Heavy Whipping Cream (2cups) 1600 160

Half and Half (2cups)

640 48
Whole Milk (1cup) 150 8 150 8
Total per batch 1750 168 790 56

  • Table does not include sugar or cake mix info
  • There are roughly 12 scoops of ice cream in the batch.  I prefer 2 scoops.
  • The even better version is a teensy bit icy but I don't care since I don't want all that fat on my butt.  You won't care- it tastes so awesome.
  • The original is still the recipe when you want to impress.
  • Using 2% vs whole milk will save you about 2.5 cal and 0.25g per scoop.  Not worth it for a slushier ice cream in my opinion.  


...thank me later...

Linking here:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Share this

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...